Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bittersweet Symphony: Reflections of an Emotional Weekend

"Cuz it/s a bittersweet symphony this life..."  This song has been playing through my head all weekend.  First off, my husband and I had such a good time just relaxing and enjoying each other down by the beach.  We got some long-overdue R&R, ate way too much, had a few drinks, went swimming, to the beach and walked without a destination.  We ended up leaving on Thursday night to see our families first and stay the night with them.  Friday we drove to the Aquarium of the Pacific and had such a fun time.  We then walked around the harbor, had HH food and drinks, walked more and went to out hotel in Newport.  Saturday we had some pool time before I had to get ready for my friend's funeral.  It was so weird as I had never been to a funeral for a friend yet in my lifetime.  It was beautifully done and was more of a celebration of her life starting with a photo montage, her closest friends and family talking about her and ending with the gospel being preached and 'Amazing Grace' being sung as her casket was carried out.  While it was so good to see friends I hadn't seen in years, it was bittersweet.  I had to leave before the burial and dinner to rejoin my husband for our dinner.  We had a great time at dinner despite a few setbacks and when he fell asleep that night, I could not for a few hours.  I did a lot of thinking and praying and came to the realization that this is life.  Death, celebrations, tears, joy, sadness, fear, love, loss....I experienced all these emotions within one intense day, but it was so bittersweet.  We are all here for only a brief moment and death is guaranteed to everyone.  This was a beautiful wake-up call. On Mother's Day, my mother-in-law also had to be rushed to the ER and as we prayed for her and waited to see her test results--again that song just kept playing in my head.  On our anniversary, my husband was feeling the crazy-intense emotions as I did the day before, but thankfully, she is in good health and hopefully the pain will be figured out soon.  (I know I just got much more personal than usual, but moments like these, you just need to share).  Anyways, as I start this week of battling a cold and my own thoughts at times, I know everything will be all right and as a reminder, Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve.







2 comments:

  1. "..and I am here in my mind, and I'm a million different people"

    that's my favourite line because throughout our lives we meet people that becomes a part of us and that's how they live forever. We are a combination of a million different people.

    I love you and hope the days has gotten brighter with Jon's mom.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment! Thanks for sharing. =)
xx, alisia e